You win some, You lose some

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lone Star

Sometimes people look at me funny when I say I am from Texas. Maybe it’s my accent? Apparently not many native “Coloradoans” have much respect for native Texans living in their homeland. I have asked a choice few people about their reasoning behind this prejudice and they said (something along the lines of) Texans are loud and they think Texas is its own country, to which I kindly reply, sternly….it once was. Does no one in Colorado know anything about Texas History?! Not to mention I could easily throw in the fact that part of Colorado used to be included in The Republic of Texas. That’s right, what you have now is partly because we gave it to you.

People who are not from Texas do not know what it means to be a Texan. And those who ARE from Texas know that it means damned near everything. The spirit that made that ‘used to be a nation, but is now a state’ is the spirit that burned in every person who founded the great place we call Texas, and they passed it on through blood or sweat to every one of us.

You see, Texan sprit is alive in all of us (TEXANS), even if we can't stand next to a cannon at the Alamo to prove it, and it's our responsibility to keep that fire burning. Every person who ever put a "Native Texan" or an "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could" sticker on his car understands. People in the Lone Star State make it what it is. And I don’t know a better group of people.

And let’s be honest, what other state has a 1 out of 2 ratio for homes with either a map of Texas on their wall or a Lone Star flag flying on their porch? If you handed a kid anywhere in the US an outline of Massachusetts or Idaho or even Colorado, they would probably respond with something like “what the heck is this?” But anyone in Idaho or Istanbul who sees a picture of Texas knows good and well what it is, about the same way as they know a circle from a square. It isn't the shape, it isn't the state, it's the state of mind.

As everyone knows, everything is bigger in Texas. The roads are bigger, the trees are bigger, and the wide open spaces are bigger. Texas has a bigger sky, with more stars and a brighter moon. Texans wear the biggest hats, the biggest boots, and drive the biggest trucks. Only Texans know what the term “hotter than hell” actually means, during July. Texas hosts the best people, the best food, the best music, and the best Universities. And if you havent heard of Texas Pride, first tell me what its like to live in a cave.

So as I am currently living out my adventure filled with mountains and crisp air and organic everything, today I am dreaming of home sweet Texas. Because as you know...God did bless Texas.

No comments: