You win some, You lose some

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Colorado Camping 101

Rules for Camping the Rockies:

1. BRING WARM STUFF. Yea, it might be June and 75 degrees and sunny when you leave the foothills of Denver, but you better believe there is still snow on the ground atop the mountains, with temperatures dropping into the 40's. If you are from Texas that is called freezing. Sleeping on the hard ground doesn't help with the uncomfortable-ness either. You need to pack whatever you can find to keep bundled. Then if you have some friends, adopt the cacoon and spoon method shown here:


2. BRING A MOUNTAIN MAN: Preferably one who can build huge fires to keep you warm. Ours was named Kremer and he was the ultimate mountain man. He made a chair out of a tree, cooked everything from Elk to eggs, and was a handyman like you have never seen before. He also had a sassy sense of humor which made me like him even more.


3. BRING A CAMERA: The scenery here is unbelievable. The most beautiful places you have ever seen. Huge mountains with snow still covering the peaks as a backdrop for tons of trees and even lakes! What could be better?! I really was so evoked to worship, in awe of the creator who designed it all!


4. SPEND TIME WITH JESUS AMIDST CREATION. The most sweet time with the Lord is times I spend it outside just taking in all the beauty around me. But this is amplified when you are at Falls River. Then to have a book and read about His sovereignty is just the icing on the cake. I loved just being by myself, with Christ, totally at peace and really happy. I think its my favorite place to be.


5. GO EXPLORE: Explore everywhere, there is so much to see. Everything, just take it all in. Sometimes you will find a sunken cabin, or a waterfall, or just more awesome views. Bring your hiking boots because the embers from the campfire WILL burn holes in your tennis shoes. Learned that the hard way.


Some other things to consider: Bring trail mix. Cook over an open fire. Bring a shovel so you can dig a hole, poop in it, and bury it. Bring toilet paper. Take a light backpack. Wear comfy shoes. Dont forget a flashlight and a water bottle. Do breathing exercises because hiking up the rockies is the most grueling form of exhaustion. Its kind of like your lungs just ran a marathon without you and are now gasping for air.

With those pointers you should be good to go! This week begins the real deal at DTS. We are learning all about the father heart of God for the next 5 days. The only thing anyone will tell us about it is that we shouldnt wear mascara or makeup because we will probably cry it all off. So thats encouraging. Cant wait for God to break me in places that I hold so supreme. Its coming for me. Got to talk to my baby sister today for about an hour and man it felt good. I miss that girl like you wouldnt believe.

Updates on what I am learning will come! As for this weekend, I love COLORADO. Wish my bests were here to love it with me. Becca is coming on Thursday and I have never been so excited to see someone. & MEGAN BOOK YOUR PLANE TICKET, I know you are reading this. Time for bed. Its not like I took a 2 hour long nap this afternoon or anything. Altitude, it will get you. I am more tired than ever.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I loved reading this! Hope your feet aren't too burnt!