You win some, You lose some

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thankful Day 15

November 15: Christmas Lights
I love me some Christmas lights. I mean LOVE. And for the twinkling version of joy that they bring me, I am forever thankful.

I cannot decorate my house, or put up a Christmas tree until after Thanksgiving. THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING to be specific, because Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays, like, ever and it’s a shame that it gets overlooked. Okay YES, I agree that the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ far outweighs it and should be more blatently celebrated, but guys let’s not completely forget about Thanksgiving! I mean yes, its kind of a lot of build up for a binge, but honestly don’t we have so much to be thankful for? Yeah, please pass the stuffing…again.

With that being said, Christmas lights can be put up year around in my book. Those little twinkling miracles make everybody happier, and every place homier, and every emotion sappier. Tree lined streets with Christmas lights make me gasp in awe of their beauty. Pictures of children wrapped in twinkle lights are my favorite type of Christmas card regardless of whether or not that is (probably) dangerous. But who cares!? TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY!

When we were little, my family had multi-colored lights on our house against my dad’s will. He wanted all blue. BLUE!? Are you freaking kidding me? That is the most hideous color of lights you could possibly put on your roof. They are never all the same shade of blue and they end up just looking the worst.

Anyways back to the multi-colored lights, they were precious. And despite my dads cursing at how steep our roof was, they ended up looking magical. We lined the roof and the sidewalk and had light-up deer in our front yard, which would have ended up in sexual positions thanks to the Shady T’s favorite past time – “deering”, had we not lived in the middle of nowhere on a lake like a bad horror movie. The ONE pro to living in the boondocks.

Every year all my broskies and littlest sister create the miracle of lighting that goes on at my g-mom’s house which is now all of our home. She has like 15 lighted Christmas trees, and a full front porch display, and red and white lights all over the house and lining the sidewalks. Outside decoration day is always the only cold day of the winter in Texas, but who cares! Let’s spread some Christmas cheer! However, I ALWAYS inevitably get stuck with getting the light trees out of the trashbags from last year and that is the worst job on the planet because my grandmommy likes to save the bags, which is an hassle if I have ever seen one. Last year Kabe and I vetoed that rule and instead just ripped the bags to shreads and it was liberating and amazing. Not to mention, the job was completed at least 7x faster.

Last year we also witnessed a tiny dog get attacked by a German Shepard which was terrifying and still haunts me…but that is neither here nor there. That’s why people shouldn’t get tiny dogs. It’s a liability. Stick with big ones that wrestle you and slobber a lot.

At the end of the day, our house looks like a post card straight from the North Pole. Santa Claus himself would be impressed and probably reward each of us with a high five. The lights make me happy just to think about them. After the house is sufficiently decorated, our entire family then sits around the fire inside and warms our hands. Because God knows if its below 60 degrees in Texas, it’s time for North Face jackets and UGGS. The cold is our enemy and will not be tolerated. Colorado missed that memo.

But I really do love the lights. I love love love them. If you haven’t put up Christmas lights, you aren’t really living. They are one of the most spectacular things about the holiday season! And I am very thankful.

No comments: