You win some, You lose some

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thankful Day 1,2, & 3

My very tiny frister named Megan is blogging every day of November about something she is thankful for. A few thoughts about that: 1. Thank God Meg is back to the blogging world!! We have missed her haven’t we!? And 2. GREAT IDEA, Meg!

So I will steal her idea and do a thankful blog myself because great ideas should be shared, right? Except I am going to try and mix things up. Before starting…I am obviously thankful (READ: very, extremely, can’t live without thankful) for my God, my family, and my friends. And when I say thankful, I mean I owe each of them my life. But since I assume that you know that if you have read more than 3 of my previous blogs, I am going to instead blog about things that you wouldn’t normally think of to be thankful for. IT’S THE LITTLE THINGS IN LIFE!! …..And I may throw a person or two in there if I start running out of ideas. (Highly likely)

This is my way of getting over the whole being depressed that October is over.
I missed a couple days, and I can’t promise I won’t miss a few more. This is my blog and I will blog if I want to, blog if I want to, blooog if I want to….

November 1: Pay Checks.
Can we all shout an AMEN for the fact that people give us lump sums of money to do stuff for them? And November 1st pay check came not one second too early, as I was beginning to brainstorm new ideas for food and shelter.

Before I can proceed, please note that full time jobs - as previously stated multiple times - are not my thing. You know that saying: “time flies when you are having fun”? Well, I am a firm believer that the opposite is also true. “Time CRAWLS when you are spending time at your place of work.” And sadly, I am the type of person to get bored easily. The working world drastically under estimates how quickly I can accomplish a variety of tasks, which leaves me with a severe case of “can I leave at noon since I have already finished everything you gave me today?” syndrome…which very rarely flies with my boss. ALAS, at least the 9ish to 5 (usually 4) schedule gives me time to blog and send emails to my overwhelming amount of friends currently living overseas.

You see, college was great for me because living on minimal sleep, chipotle and cherry limeades, road trips and best friends is close to heaven in my book. This has left me feeling very out of place in the young professional world as of late. Most of my friends now have full time jobs with salaries and 401k’s. It sounds exciting but I guess I just don’t feel at home in that world. Which leaves me with a dilemma.

What am I doing with my life? (Other than living the dream day in day out… I am still not entirely sure.) And it’s not like my resume is impressive. There is not one impressive thing on my resume. Not one. I crafted it in my basement in a last minute panic on a cold day in January.

But as it stands, I really don’t hate my job and they DO pay me so I cannot complain too much. Amidst the dichotomy of emotions that come with having a “career”….I AM THANKFUL for the paychecks.

November 2: CHI hair straighteners.
HALLELUJAH for those hot ceramic tiles that allow me to defy statistics and have good hair (most days) in the driest climate ever.

From Wikipedia:
“First patented by Simon Monroe, straightening irons, straighteners, or flat irons, not to be confused with clothing irons (VALID POINT), work by breaking down the hair's hydrogen bonds found in the hair's cortex, which cause hair to bend and become curly. Once the bonds are broken, hair is prevented from holding its original, natural form, though the hydrogen bonds can re-form if exposed to moisture (SEE: BAD WEATHER). They can also use infrared technology.”

I am thankful for Simon Monroe and his brilliant contribution to the hair of Americans everywhere.

November 3: HULU
I do thank the Lord Jesus Christ for HULU on multiple occasions. Most frequently that is Thursday nights when they broadcast a new Modern Family episode…LIKE TODAY. Therefore today, I am thankful for HULU—a website that gives me valid reason not to workout after work but to instead grab dinner to-go and eat it on my bed while watching Phil Dunphy make me laugh until I cry.

Although, if we are being honest, I would prefer that HULU+ not cost me money. With that being said, that is the best 7 dollars that I spend all month.


So here’s to making the best of the month AFTER the best month ever. And who doesn’t like a holiday where it is valid to dress up as a pilgrim or an Indian and binge on turkey and stuffing?! Any holiday that is centered around eating massive amounts of food multiple times per day is A-OKAY in my book.

So in spite of times when your brakes lock up and you run off the road twice in one trip because the roads are icy and covered in snow, and your snot freezes to your nose, and you have to put on 1274 layers just to walk outside to get something from your car, and your toes fall off from hypothermia….in spite of those nuances that November will inevitably bring….lets choose to be thankful!!

Because….you know….at least we can snowboard.

No comments: