You win some, You lose some

Monday, November 7, 2011

Thankful Day 5, 6, & 7

November 5: Ski Lifts
Right?! RIGHT!?! As we all know, snowboarding is easily one of my favorite things about winter. I am really working to be x-games good by the end of the season, and anybody who has gone snowboarding with me would agree that I have a long way to go, regardless of the fact that I call myself a “boarder.” Becks is faithful to point out that exaggeration anyways. But as it stands, snowboarding and holidays redeem the cold misery-town weather. And what would we do without ski lifts? Seriously…WHAT WOULD WE DO!?! Without ski lifts there would be no such thing as snowboarding. And I can say this rather confidently because I walked up three flights of stairs in my snowboard boots on Saturday and was wheezing like a fat fifth grader after his morning box of mini donuts. And let’s not forget that I hiked a 14er in the summer and almost died, so there is not a chance in hell that I would hike up a mountain in the winter just to slide down it. NOT. A. CHANCE. The sport as we know it would be forever lost.

And so in spite of the fact that I almost always fall trying to get off the ski lift because it always seems like we are going to arrive to that hill at lightning speed, and in spite of the fact that it’s fairly likely they will have to stop the lift to allow me time to get out of the way because I laugh hysterically when I fall, I do love the fact that I can sit in a chair while being transported to the top of a mountain. It’s a miracle of a contraption and makes me feel like quite the DIVA. And that’s not something I take lightly.

So Saturday I was extremely thankful for ski lifts. And I will be equally as thankful for them next Saturday, and the Saturday after that, and the Saturday after that…and so on until next May.

November 6: Daylight Savings Time (applies to Fall Backwards ONLY)
Daylight Savings Time (Fall Backwards) kicks off “the most wonderful time of the year.” Can we all be honest about the fact that when we looked at our iPhones Sunday morning and saw an ungodly early hour, we celebrated that extra hour of sleep with an air fist pump while still in bed? I know I did. I smiled (which is something I never do right when I wake up) and rolled over in blessed warm abandon to drift back into a dream that I think included something along the lines of me winning the Starbucks lottery where I won an infinite number of soy chai lattes, and someone had given me a free puppy and all my friends lived in the same place and we were all wearing long sleeves and fuzzy socks in my mountain lodge with my talk, dark, and handsome husband, and everyone was laughing and happy and eating pumpkin cheesecake which actually made you skinnier. OK, the dream was made up. The rest was absolutely true.

For me, that hour was a gift from the Lord Jesus Christ Himself seeing that my body was exhausted to the point of no return from the 7 hours of snowboarding in boots that are too small for my feet. I was in severe recovery mode and the extra sleep came at just the perfect time. This “holiday” of sorts always increases my mood significantly until the sun sets at 5PM, which is just ridiculous. But needless to say, I haven’t set my watch back yet because it makes me feel like I am REALLY living on the edge sleeping in until 8 (which is really 7). But I can trick myself better than anyone else, and that 8:15 wake-up call felt oh so very nice.

It should be addressed that the ugly step sister of Fall backwards is Spring forwards and everyone, I repeat, EVERYONE hates that selfish biznatch. Depriving me of an hour of sleep goes in the same category as taking a baseball bat to my shins.

But since this is November and not March, I am thankful, SO VERY THANKFUL, for Daylight Savings Time.

November 7: Hair Ties (Pony Tail Holders)
This is a MUST HAVE, people. A pony tail is my go-to look for every. single. occasion. I am so thankful that someone came up with the idea of elastic rubber bands covered in fabric so that you don’t use profanity every time you try to take your pony tail down (like you would if you were using a regular rubber band which rips hair from your scalp). And let’s also be thankful that these no longer come only in the form of a scrunchie, because it’s a worldwide fact that scrunchies are for losers. Losers, and people trying to re-live the 80s.

Anyways those tiny little hair ties make my life 100% easier, 100% cooler, and 110% more able to avoid my hair dreading….which we all should just agree is disgusting. If I ever dread my hair, you all should assume that Colorado has taken me captive, brainwashed me, and your response would be to go ahead and put me out of my misery. I will probably also be high when you find me. You should know by now that hair means essentially everything to me and I pride myself on having it silky and long and freshly teased. Therefore doing something to jeopardize that would be a sign of mental instability.

But in light of the fact that my hair is phenomenal today (it’s the one thing I’ve got going for me), I am really really thankful for hair ties.

No comments: