You win some, You lose some

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tim Riggins and Texarkana

Over the past week, I hopped a plane back to the greatest place on earth (TEXAS) and got to see some of my favorite of all people and also got the privilege of losing at least 5 pounds in sweat. Luckily I had no problem making up for that deficit and more by eating my weight in every type of meat possible cooked on the grill, thanks to my oldest broskie, Kaleb – our family’s personal chef. The vacation came at a perfect time and was much needed, and I couldn’t have been happier to spend time with the people I love so dearly.

I got to see Becca Feagin and eat the most fantastic sandwich of my life, and then stay in Beef’s new house in Dallas like a real life housewife. I even did dishes! Note: staying at the HOUSE (including husband/backyard/dog/casseroles/matching dishes) of your childhood friend is one of the weirdest things to experience in my life to date. SHE MADE A CASSEROLE, Y’ALL! A CASSEROLE! That is some serious grown-up stuff.

Anyways, I talked with Becca for hours and was, as always, incredibly encouraged, and then I laughed with Beef all night long eating her casserole and reminisced about the days when we lived within driving distance, or biking distance. I ached to spend more time with each of them, and it only made my heart hurt more to have to leave so abruptly. Vacations never last long enough. And being in Texas never fails to confuse my sense of reality.

The rest of my time in the great state was spent in Texarkana alongside the idiots that I call family - the most incredible group of crazies that I know and the people whom I love most in this world. They are the BEST. Let me tell you. I got to see my youngest broskie, Roman, pitch the winning game of the Regional SemiFinal baseball game, and then got to post his picture all over social networking sites. I got to listen to Carson play guitar and sing songs and laugh and be the same exact 18 year old that I once was, and swelled with pride over how similar we are. And then feel nauseous about it. I got to stay up all night talking to my best friend on the planet, in the form of my littlest sister, and then fall asleep on her as she took me back to the airport. I remembered how much I adore her, and how we have more fun than any two people, ever. I sat in the swing on the back porch haven with Mom, Trudy and Grandmommy surrounded by entirely too many dogs and enjoyed the Texas heat. Was showered with love and got to once again admire the work that God is doing in and through each of them. And then every night I got to sit at a table eating the most delicious food that Kaleb had grilled and laugh with him about everything that’s crazy in this world.

Carson and Roman had a redneck graduation party out at the ranch and despite the fact that my mom wore pink sparkly toms, everything else was definition rural Texas. We decorated everything with antlers. ANTLERS. And mason jars. You never know how much you miss a lifestyle until it is no longer your lifestyle. And I do love me some antlers.

We played disc golf. We got snowcones. We went to Icehouse. We played shuffleboard. We drove the jeep with the top down. We hammocked. We ate too much. We sweated. We cuddled pups. We watched movies, and we watched about 239084 hours of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS – the best TV show in the Universe, to date. And I drooled over Tim Riggins.

It’s weird being in the place where I grew up, and looking around to discover that (right now) this isn’t my reality. Texas is a memory, a place of comfort and security and happiness overflowing, but at the time is not the place to which God has called me. It is weird to look around at the people who know the depths of my soul, and to get on a plane to fly what seems like a million miles away from them. It’s weird, and it’s frustrating.

But, last night, as I flew back to my life here in Denver, I was met with 4 of the most amazing of friends. My family here. My little crew of crazy people. And I know that, for now, God has me exactly where he wants me. Because he is good. And he is in control. And I kind of love him for it. Because I kind of love it here. For now, at least.

Here is a photo documentation of my time in Texas that I basically never wanted to end.







This last picture here is Roman's debut on the front page of the sports section in today's paper.  HE'S FAMOUS YALL!!!!!!!!  Good luck to the Hawks tonight as they hope to clinch another State appearance for PG baseball.  And good luck of course to the cutest side-armed pitcher in the whole wide world.  (Read: ROMAN)  Clear eyes, full hearts, CANT LOSE!!

No comments: