You win some, You lose some

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Blog Hiatus Concluded

After a month-long blogging hiatus, I am back and with even less to say. Some things that have happened include: me doing the same thing that I do every day, for about 4 weeks now. Oh, breaking news: I went to a party on a weekend and I wore a floral dress, so that is a new accomplishment both because I dressed like a girl on purpose and also because I made the conscious decision to leave the house on a Saturday night instead of fall asleep at 8PM watching “Friday Night Lights” after an all-day track meet. It was a triumph and I rewarded myself with watching TV all day the next day while laying around and eating full bags of chips. Victory. Is. Mine.

 My adventurous lifestyle came to a screeching halt upon accepting job #2, but only for a short period of time. It has been worth every single minute, but I don’t have as much to write about now that the crew is no longer planning a weekend trip to the mountains every Friday/Saturday. Snowboard season is over, and Rebecca made us take down the Lee-shrine in our living room. Curses. I am knee deep in responsibility and life is moving along with brutal swiftness. (Alas, summer is near!)

 Some other notable updates:

I read Matt Chandler’s new book, “The Explicit Gospel” and naturally, loved it. It’s a lot like a compilation of all his sermons and the Good Lord knows I love a good Matt Chandler sermon. I am once again left blown away by the majesty of my God. And even more baffled as to how I could constantly wonder away from Him on a daily basis. I could drown in my inadequacy and yet God’s grace stretches further still.

I’ve done laundry approximately 4 times in the last month, and each time I pile the clean clothes from the dryer on my bed like a strange trophy made of mostly sweatpants. It’s like a prize I give to myself for my personal achievement of cleaning my own clothes. And then, because I sleep very violently - like I am being strangled - all the clean clothes wind up on the floor and I end up raging angry in the mornings when I can’t find my black tights.

 I cannot tell you how close I am to going crazy while doing the career thing. It’s exhausting. I am at the point in my full time job where I wish my co-worker, Lindsay, would set fire to the place in order to distract everyone as I snuck out to (once again) take a nap in my car. But she won’t do that because Lindsay is very unhelpful.

 Speaking of, Lindsay Behnke is now officially my co-worker, and that makes me a little less likely to drive my car into the side of the building so as to escape the 9-5 routine. In her own words, she is running this workplace like a gerbil runs in a plastic ball in his cage. I couldn’t be more proud of her. 

Tried Greek food, again. Liked it.

 Tried other forms of sushi. Hated it.

 IMPORTANT: I discovered two new artists, with the help of my littlest sister and Lee(balls). Please do yourself a favor and download Ben Howard’s entire album “Every Kingdom” and The Lumineers self-titled album. It will be the best thing you do this week. My favorites are “Old Pine,” “Keep your Head Up” and “Ho Hey.” Its…just….phenomenal.

I’ve gotten quite a few phone calls lately from telemarketers asking me if I want things that I would never in a million years ever want. But what concerns me more than anything is that these robotic jerks don’t even start the conversation with a “hello.” (Which is upsetting to me because a greeting is a basic building block of polite society and is one of the only things that separate us from bears.) And not to mention, no I do not want a magazine subscription – I cannot stress this enough. My nemesis may or may not be behind this.

 I planned a trip home to Texas in May and also planned for 3 out of 4 sibs to come and visit me in Denver in June. Both are big events that I am counting down the minutes to in antsy anticipation.


With all of those updates behind us, I can feel free to tell you that I have kind of been in a fog. A haze, if you will. I am right at the cusp of my 24th birthday and I am really hoping that this isn’t my quarter-life crisis rearing its head a year too early.

 Life, to my utter annoyance, is designed to move forward. We aren’t created to stand still, to be stagnant, or to hover. Also, there is no chance of going back to the “good old days.” I’m not particularly a fan of this consistent change. I constantly feel the need to hang onto what has suddenly become the past. Nothing exemplified this horror more than the day after Beef's wedding. However, change is inevitable. People get married, have kids, and move across the country (my fault). And this current, breathless moment will never be quite the same.

 But in times like these when I feel like life is whirling past me at a million miles an hour, I can skype my friend Beef and laugh until my stomach hurts about the pains of growing up, gaining weight, and being 24...and suddenly, for this moment - everything is going to be okay. Because God sends mercy and grace in the form of friendships and video chatting.

 Thank you Brittany Forrester for making me laugh until I cry and for hanging out with me (virtually) when It was exactly what I really needed.

No comments: