You win some, You lose some

Monday, June 18, 2012

90MPH With No Recovery

FOREWARNING: I am writing this blog in order to stay awake at my full time job. I am the kind of nauseous you get when exhaustion is at a level 10. Just dropped the kiddos (siblings) off at the airport, and hugged and kissed them goodbye. On a completely unrelated side note, I was wearing my “I moose have a hug” nightgown and I felt confident about it. It will probably be Christmas before I see those precious faces again…which I will promptly put to the back of my mind in order to save myself the heartache. Oy vey.

This weekend the sibs and I packed as many activities into a single weekend as humanly possible. We drove to every corner of this state, and saw every mountain range. A recap would include a Colorado Rockies baseball game, where we scored first deck tickets for free (because God loves us). We laid on a big rock over a creek in Buena Vista looking at the stars, and built a fire despite the fire ban in Colorado and the repercussions of getting caught.

The next day we spent the entire day on the river with our handsome New Zealand native of a rafting guide, Isaac, whom we lovingly referred to as “Daddy.” He guided us down a very low river with extreme precision and even performed a somersault off of the front of the raft at one point during the trip. His accent really made him adorable, regardless that he did not understand our jokes whatsoever. That night was spent playing various sports in the park and inevitably giving Lindsay a concussion as she attempted to become Air Jordan. That night ended prematurely with frozen peas on Lindsay’s head and a movie while lying on the couch.

We drove to Granby Lake for the weekend and canoed, threw rocks and frisbees, and grilled chicken over a bonfire. Then Lee had the brilliant idea of making jank s’mores which included cinnamon pop tarts and a rice crispy treat in the middle, warmed on a stick. I opted out of that midnight snack, and you should opt out of ever trying it to save yourself the embarrassment. The next day we hiked and scrambled down the rocks of a waterfall, drove on the highest paved road in America to see a herd of elk and ended up at the Hi Country Riding Stables in Estes Park, Colorado where we took a trail ride on horseback.

I need to stop and pause to give this experience its due respect.

First of all, it smelled like horse crap. Which makes sense. Roman was a natural and immediately bonded with his horse, Smalls. He even wore boots, so it really wasn’t a competition of who looked the most comfortable in this scenario. Brittney’s horse, The Black Pearl, was adventurous and preferred going OVER rocks, rather than around. Pearl also had a bad case of gas, which was only a problem for me since I was riding behind her. Carson and my horses were related, and they were total assholes. (HINT: This is the best part of the story.)

Jesse and James started the day off having their own agenda of what our trip would look like. Seeing that I was wearing yoga pants and aviators, and Carson looked like he had come straight from longboarding on the beaches of California…these horses knew we were foreigners and piss poor horseback riders. They took advantage of us from the beginning and leapt over creeks, stopped to graze, and galloped to catch up with the group, bouncing us out of our saddles. They also walked on the edge of every cliff, were clumsy as hell, and preferred that we didn’t use the reigns whatsoever. In response, Carson and I did not stop laughing, screaming, squealing, cursing for the entire 2 hour trip. Carson made brutal threats towards Jesse, and I instead tried the method of sweet talking James. Neither proved successful. It was probably the most fun I have had since moving to Colorado. My abs are so sore…along with other choice parts of my body.

I loved having my brothers and sister here. It’s like a little piece of home showing up in the mountains, wrapped in movie quotes and exceptional senses of humor. But upon the closing of my car door as I departed from the airport, the quiet engulfed me like a warm blanket. I reflected on the weekend and relayed details to the parents, reminiscing on all the laughter and idiocy of our time together.

After a week full of 90 miles per hour, I am exceedingly ready for an afternoon in my hammock dozing off in the sunshine. I need solitude, and some one on one time with Jesus. Just to think. To rest. To sleep. I find this need more apparent in myself as I get older. Maybe I am going to end up turning into my mother after all.

There is something about paying attention, about prayer, about being present to the world in every moment. This weekend I abandoned my phone and my computer (for the most part) and just lived mostly outside. I think it’s what we were created for despite the fact that everyone knows I am a complete technology whore. (I am not proud of that fact, and there is something within me that desperately wants to change it.) But, there is a way of choosing to live in the now, whatever it might look like. There is something about preserving my sense of wonder, presence, and attentiveness to the beauty of the world that God has placed me in.

And stopping to breathe, it heals me. I need my days to be punctuated by moments of rest and awe in the beauty of my God and the beauty of his creation. Because the beauty and wonder and awe, they are always there just waiting for me to pause and look around. Here is some photo documentation of the weekend:






Hope you are having the most fabulous Monday.  I think I will take a nap under my desk now.

No comments: