You win some, You lose some

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Ally Runs

If you know me at all, there are very few things I value more in life than sleep.

Recently, upon acquiring a second job which I love and also keeping the full time job that I don’t hate, I have been waking up before the sun and not getting home until well after it has already set. Brutal right? Worth it, 100 percent, but ABSOLUTELY brutal.

Over the last 6-8 months, I have learned a lot about wellness as far as food goes. Living in Colorado has helped me make a paradigm shift on what it means to be healthy. Lately though, my goal/conviction is to be healthy/well in every aspect of life: spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. To throw some ‘Christianese’ your way: to live above reproach in every facet of my life.

So upon setting this theme for 2012, I have made some mini goals that play into that big picture one.

One of which goals is to run a half marathon. I have made such a goal about 243 times in my life, and my sister would back me up on that fact. Want to know how many half marathons I have run? ZERO. I have never made it through Day 2 of training. Why? Because running is hard. This time is different, though. I have a running buddy. I have Becca Feagin writing my workout schedule. I have signed up for a 5k and a 10k and the actual half marathon in hopes of forcing myself to do it. (I am stingy as hell about spending money). I have looked at pictures on Pinterest to get motivated.

Over the next three months, I will be keeping you posted on my running schedule and new life as a ‘runner.’ The first of which installation starts today.

As a whole, I consider myself fairly athletic. Would have said REALLY athletic a few years back, but those maple scones will catch up with you. Running is a level above athletic. Ask me to play any sport, and I don’t have a problem telling you that I could pick it up within an hour. (TOOT TOOT - the sound of my own horn.) Ask me to run more than a mile and I would tell you to go punch yourself in your own face and then laugh at you.

Some facts:
I have a major baditude about the treadmill. I. HATE. IT.

I do not sweat pretty. I look at pictures of runners, and I do not resemble them at all. I more resemble monsters in horror movies.

Running early in the morning is the bane of my existence. After a run, I do not want to stay awake and kick Monday’s ass with my productivity afterwards. I want to nap. Till noon. Nobody says it better than Beef when she said that waking up early to run does the opposite of what people say. It actually makes you more tired than you would have been had you slept until 8AM. Logic wins here.

Running in the afternoon after a full day at two jobs is even worse.

I am 93% certain that by day 7 of this work out my yoga child’s pose will look much more like me in the fetal position sucking my thumb and asking for my sister.

I almost always think “aww hell no” within the first 10 strides of my run.

It’s freaking freezing outside. Cold enough that some days I miss Texas and the blazing heat. Cold enough that I cursed at the birds for chirping this morning. As if the weather was their fault.


But, AGAINST ALL ODDS, and because I want my body to be a wonderland, I am running. Even on the days when my knees scream profanities at me and I have to take ice baths in the Colorado winter.

So, if you see me anytime in the next 3 months, go ahead a give me a hug and/or high five. Say something motivational. Get me a subscription to Runners World. Make me a “Eat, Pray, Run” inspirational card. Or at least have pity on me when you shake your head and say “I told you so.”

Running like I stole something, I smell puke in my near future.

No comments: