You win some, You lose some

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blogging: Like or Dislike

I am not sure I want to be labeled as a blogger. I do not know that I even want to have a blog. It seems a little cliche these days, and cliche is something I know I don't want to be. However as it stands, the blog world allures me. Currently I am working on a blogging pros and cons list. According to how that turns out, I will either continue or discontinue this adventure in cyberspace with you.

This weekend was fun for me. I was genuinely really happy. I didn't think much about all of the weighty decisions that are looming ahead of me, and instead I just lived in the moment. The moment was good this weekend. Theta 5K and my family was in town for parents weekend, which for the Rice's means PARENT weekend as in singular. So my mom was here. And brother. However, the 'moment' always seems to pass me by quicker than I would like it to. Before I jump head first into the depths of my being, vomited all over the world wide web...I should probably introduce my starting lineup in life per say, the characters that I will be referring to on at least a weekly basis. Lets begin:

Brittney Rice. My beautiful baby sister....who looks a lot like me and is actually half an inch taller than me, I might add. She is my rock. My accountability and my sanity. We like to call each other our other half, and that doesn't even do it justice. She is the one person that I can not/would not live without, we have already planned to die at the same time...or would just ask that Jesus rapture us up together which would be preferred I think.

In my opinion, she is the coolest girl in the universe and I like her a lot. She is the only person I can be around 24 hours a day, every day and never get sick of. She keeps me on my toes and calls me out on my junk. And not only is she my sister, but shes also my roomie...hands down the best living arrangement of my life, keeping her a mere 2 doors and maybe some stairs away from me at all times. Lets talk a little about her. Boo is black and white. There is no grey areas with her. She has a right and a wrong, and very few things fall in between the two. I like this about her. She is very stoic and very rarely shows excessive emotion....she always plays it cool. While I am on a constant rollercoaster of emotions full of hills, dips, and loops; Brittney likes to ride the mini-mine train, keeping her emotions at a near constant. She has been this way since she was born. I think she passed me in maturity when she was age 2 and I was 5. Maybe one year after this:

Things havent changed since then. Brittney will let me whine and vent to her constantly and we can basically read each others minds. She knows me better than anyone, and still likes me. I look up to her in most aspects even though I am the big sister here, but I think she looks up to me too. I am brutally honest with her and sometimes she asks that I not share as much detail, like when I get poop on my hand ALL THE TIME--(still a mystery). Brittney is firm in her faith, and constant in her walk with God. Consistant would be a good word to describe most every aspect of her life. She is very very wise, and our whole family refers to her as Oprah which is kind of sac-religious but we are just saying that people listen to her advice, seeing that she is most always right. (I learned this the hard way). Anyways, she is always willing to go along with my stupid adventures, as long as 'Friends' isnt on, because in that case you would have trouble prying her off the couch. Anyways God really knew what he was doing when he made us sisters. She is my better than best friend in the world, to which there is no comparison. We are the perfect team.



Savannah Rowland. Savannah is my best friend, the most original best friend I have ever had, and also the weirdest person I know. I do not understand much of anything that she does. I met Savannah at Kanakuk last summer and to be honest didn't care much for her in the beginning. In my defense, she didn't like me either. A day of pulling weeds together during work week turned things around for us, and after discovering our common lack of enthusiasm for weeds, Tony Horton and p90x, and for people who are fake--we formed a bond and haven't looked back since. It was the most God ordained thing that has ever happened to me, and our friendship has followed suit. Savannah brings out a side of me that I haven't known before. I seem to be a lot more carefree around her, like I can breathe out and pretend that I am a kid where I have to worry about nothing. I occasionally get "little sister syndrome" though because I am slightly naive compared to her. She labeled me as her quiet friend which is weird, considering that I am hardly the quiet type. My newly developed meekness frustrates her a little as she would rather me speak in funny voices or burst into song alongside her without thinking. Regardless, I am absolutely happy and absolutely joyful when we are together. I think that is how a best friend is supposed to be.

However, Savannah and I have basically nothing in common....and when I say basically nothing, I mean we can only think of about 5 things which include: a love for Jesus, musical preferences, sarcasm, traveling/missions, and an uncontrollable desire to run away on most days. Other than that it is more of an "opposites attract" sort of friendship. She likes dinosaurs, I do not. She is lazy and hates any sort of competition, I don't sit still and thrive on winning. She is a dancer, I am an athlete. We handle most every situation totally different, as I love confrontation and she is the queen of avoiding everything. This makes things interesting to say the least. She marches to the beat of her own drum and is what you would call a "free spirit". She has a new shiny silver nose ring which I do not approve of, but she likes it, and I am warming up to it...nonetheless I love her right through it. She is always wearing way too many bracelets and frustrates me to an infinite degree, but I really love the snot out of her. For some unknown reason God has specifically placed her in my life and has brought about a friendship like no other that I have known. Christ is so clearly and obviously the reason behind us. Through Him alone we have walked through the past year together and it has been an absolute blast.

Savannah keeps me on my a-game, seeing that I never know what she will do next. Its a constant guessing game with her. She lives in Columbia, Missouri so she can attend Mizzou against her will, therefore we only get to see each other about every 2 months. That is a serious bummer, but those rare times that we do hangout are well worth the wait, a breath of fresh air, and highly anticipated with a unavoidable countdown. She truly pushes me towards the cross, makes me want to be better, and Jesus teaches me so much through her. She is the biggest blessing, and the fact that we get to walk together through this life produces an overwhelming and endless amount of praise and worship for the God that ordained it.


Megan Templin. Megan is my "best friend with no categorization whatsoever," and I like to call her my mini-me. She holds an extremely special part of my heart. We first met 3 years ago at kamp but were not close friends, due to an unfortunate misunderstanding. However, being in sister cabins exactly one year later and gave us unforgettable memories and an experience that could lead to nothing but an everlasting friendship and partnership in crime. Especially kabin search day...but that's neither here nor there, and a story for a different day.

Megan is the fastest friend I have ever made. It was an instantaneous kind of thing, and I think it happened on a bus or maybe the dock. We have a lot in common, and we handle most issues the same way. We like doing most all of the same things and I can almost always count on her when I am looking for an adventure. We share a common love for skipping class to do things like kayak in the snow, or go rock climbing with friends. Everything is more fun when you are doing it instead of class, in our opinion. Megan is kind of like another sister to me, basically another part of my family, and she fits in well. She is almost as close to my sister as she is with me, and my cousin may or may not be in love with her. I try not to go more than a month without seeing her because when that happens it stresses me out. She is a Baylor Bear but I try pretty hard not to hold that against her too often. The Lord loves me visibly through Megan. She knows her stuff when it comes to God and gives good advice, like the time she told me that this is the worst hell we will ever have to experience. Praise the Lord that this world is the worst it will ever get for us, and we have nothing but things to look forward to. Some of my favorite things about Meg include the way that she knows exactly how to love me well in my own love language. She really cares about me and does a good job of showing it. There is freedom in knowing that you are loved like that. Megan is the BEST in stressful/hard situations, and can always make me laugh even if I have been crying for hours. She seems to know exactly what to say. She loves everyone in her life really hard. I like this about her, because I think you should love as hard as you know how to and if you get hurt, well it was better to have loved. I think there is a saying that goes something like that..Megan probably knows it. The Lord teaches me about unfailing love through her, and it is such a blessing in my life. Another one of my favorite things about Meg is that we always end up doing things together we would never do unless we are with each other. Its like this mini-rebellion happens every time we hang out and it ROCKS.

Some of these things include sleeping in the back of my xterra in sleeping bags, building a campfire and form tackling each other via photoshoot, making video documentaries, being spontaneous, substituting perverted words for common every day words just so people wont know what we are talking about, and much much more. Adventure is inevitable with us, and I love it! Megan is one of those people who I know I will be friends with forever, who will be like my family forever and for this I am so so very thankful. The "friends come and friends go" slogan absolutely cannot and will not ever refer to her. She is my best friend and I plan on it staying that way for a long long time.


Becca Feagin. Oh where do I even begin? My best friend in college, and the only person that I know who COMPLETELY understands me. Becca is the only friend I have who knows my complete story from start to finish, and all the gritty details along the way. She gets my thought process and seeing that I am basically a wack job--this makes her legit. She knows most everything about me, even the dark stuff that I wish no one knew and loves me anyways. Talk about my own tiny little God given miracle.

Becks and I are on the same level in alot of ways. We are both very competitive and therefore never need to compete against each other seeing that one of us (probably me) will always leave frustrated and pissed. (*Although I am better at powderpuff) Becca and I's deep conversations are my favorite ones to have. This girl can call me out on sin faster than lightning, and by the way she never holds anything back. She sees through my crap and disregards any front I try and put up. Becks is the most honest person I have ever met, and AUTHENTIC as heck. She tells you exactly how she feels and exactly what she thinks and it is my favorite thing about her. I love that she knows exactly who she is, owns up to her flaws, and works hard to seek the Lord's strength in healing the heart issue behind the sin.

Becca loves the Lord harder than anyone, and I look up to her in that aspect. I aspire to be a little more like her when it comes to pursuing God. She pushes me to be a better person and to flee from sinful desires. She encourages me to live a life radically sold out to Christ and to not live ashamed of the sinful nature that I used to walk in, but to instead give all glory to the ONE GOD who can save anyone. The Lord renews my love for her daily as we have been on a heck of a joy ride for the past 3 years. I am always anxious to see how the Lord will glorify himself through us next.


Brittany Forrester. Better known as "Beef"...long story that is based out of 'Fitness Camp' circa 5th grade. Beef is my best friend from high school, "HBF" as we like to call it, but let me explain. While actually IN high school, we were of course close friends, but not best friends. SINCE high school and the inevitable fall-out of friends there after, Beef and I have become closer and closer. We are the only ones who opted out of thirteenth grade at Arkansas to go to Texas universities, and would later question our decisions seeing that school is like 10million times harder down here.

Beef is the anti-Ally. She is perfect and pretty and rarely spotted without makeup. Even when she is dressed comfy, she looks cute. Dont you hate those people? She looks beautiful when she first wakes up, in her Victorias Secret matching PJs, and Coach slippers. She does pageants and wears heels on a daily basis. Beef graduated in December from UT with a degree in Communications, and now has a baller job in Austin where she lives with her perfect-for-her boyfriend, Dustin. Beef and I have known each other since the 4th grade when I had glasses and braces and usually had my hair slicked back in a pony tail (sick) glittered up on the eyelids, and she was rockin the bob haircut, or as we like to call it--the 'Haley Fomby' cut. Definitely friends through the awkward stage although she hardly went through one.

Beef is hilarious and she doesn't even know it. She is extremely blunt, says what she thinks and doesn't put up with anyone's crap. This might be my favorite thing about her. She is straight forward and never compromises who she is. I think this is what I look for in friends. I have SO MUCH FUN every single time that I am with Beef. We enjoy making fun of our high school decision making skills (mostly mine) and we like reminiscing the 'good old days'. Maybe we are too young for that but we don't care. I love this girl with my whole heart and I love her for exactly who she is. Pageant ready and perfect, while I am grunged out and always in sweats. Gotta love standing next to her in pictures, her in all her brilliance. Thankful doesn't even cover how happy I am she is such a huge part of my life.


Well there you have it. My 'starters' in this game of life. These are my rocks, my 'go-to' girls and my absolute favorite people to be around. I guess we will see how this blogging thing goes, I am not making any promises. Until next time!

Ally :)

No comments: